Monday 18 May 2015

Spelling to the MAX!

In Room 8 we have been working on the 'C', 'K' and 'CK' sounds in spelling. Here are some of our rules!

-use 'CK' after a short vowel: back, peck, thick, sock
-use 'K' after a consonant letter, long vowel or vowel pair: park, peek, cake
-if we use a 'K' we use 'I' or 'E' after it: kit, kill, ken
-if we use a 'C' we use 'A' 'O' or 'U' after it: cat, core, cut ( sometimes those last two rules don't apply but we haven't learnt about those. )

We use dictionaries to find 'C' 'K' and 'CK' words. We then use the words we've found and spell them. Hope you enjoyed reading about our spelling.





For our writing we have been writing ANZAC diaries by soldiers, or nurses, in The Gallipoli Campaign. We have been writing primarily about life in the trenches and battlefields. Some people chose to write about blood and gore, while others wrote about the hospitals This was mainly those writing as nurses. Some soldiers chose to opt out of the battle for a seemingly quieter life on beds in hospital tents with walls that blocked out the sound of deafening explosions and blood curdling screams of the battlefield.

These are some entries from various authors:

28th April 1915
It has been pouring with rain. We have been busy all night putting triage tags on wounded soldiers. We saved the red tagged soldiers immediately, but those with black tags sadly passed away. There was no way to move with all the dead bodies lying around in the hospital tent.
entry by Lily Hendriksen

1st June 1915
I have been awarded a medal! But I have been shot in the leg. It's just gutzer! I got the medal for bravery because when I got shot in the leg I just forgot about it and kept fighting on.

During the battle I remember a cricket ball sized grenade being thrown into our trench. Luckily for me, its fuse was burning slowly so I picked it up and threw it back into the turks trench before it exploded. I felt lucky because I didn't get blown to pieces but I feel sad for all the turks I must have killed.

I don't like war, it's terrible! All you do is shoot people. The trenches stink. I stink! I am always getting the Gallipoli Gallop. Trying to find a spot to go to the loo, sometimes I cant find anywhere to go and I end up having to pee my pants. I cant wash my clothes or myself because there is so little water and no bathroom facilities . I have to wait until I get down to the beach and wash myself in the sea.
entry by Kouta Roberts

Glossary of Kouta's entry

Gutzer: Horrible
Gallipoli Gallop: Trying to find a toilet in the trenches






Blog post by Jacob

No comments:

Post a Comment